According to survey reports, it was found that around 12,000 lives can be saved by utilizing the seat belts and 3,25,000 injuries can be prevented. In case of conducting fleet business effectively, your utmost priority should be to ensure safety of your fleet drivers. But the question is how will you safeguard the drivers once they stay out of your field?
Presumably, it is impossible for you to continually monitor the employees. Hence, it is wise to install a GPS tracking device for examining the activities of the driver while they are on the road. Nevertheless, the standard procedure to create a safe workplace is to constitute a fleet safety policy and provide a crystal clear awareness of its expectations to the employees.
Meanwhile, it was estimated that every employer has an expense of 60$ billion for compensating the vehicle crashes alone. And, the average cost spent for crash expenses reaches to $16500 and it can rise up to $500,000 if there are serious injuries. Consequently, fleet safety policies lower overall fleet costs and enhance the fleet operations.
Before exploring the benefits of a fleet safety policy, let’s have a glimpse of what the fleet safety policy is:
What is a Fleet Safety Policy?
Ordinarily, a fleet safety policy provides the policies and procedures that assist you to maintain a safe workplace. Have a peek on the roles of a fleet safety policy in fleet management:
- Establish rules and regulations for maintaining a safe driving behavior and vehicle operations, both on and off the clock.
- Specify the disciplinary actions adopted for unsafe driving and reward programs for safe driving.
- Delineate post accident or collision protocols.
- Provide confidence to drivers that you seriously consider their safety and security of other motorists.
Why is Fleet Safety Policy Essential?
Fleet safety policies not only ensure driver safety, but also save money and time by reducing the number of casualties, injuries, crash rates, and other related asset damages, irrespective of your fleet size. Here follows the 4 reasons why a fleet business need a safety policy:
- Motivate Safe Driving Behavior
As per the reports, it was found that alcohol consumption is a predominant factor in 39% of work related crashes. There is a common presumption that wearing the seat belts and avoiding alcohols need not be included in the guidelines, but this is a wrong assumption. Why? This is because the prime goal of fleet safety policy is the employee safety and preventing use of alcohol also have a great role in ensuring the drivers safety.
- Curtail Accident Expenses
For instance, you should consider certain vital expenses after an accident. Such expenses include medical care, legal settlements, asset repairs, and expenses to accomplish the productivity that has gone astray due to accident. These are the indirect costs, here is a list of indirect costs, a company should expect after accidents. Let’s check it out:
- Lessened customer satisfaction, which ultimately decreases sales.
- Downtime while recruiting and training fresh employees, restoring or repairing damages of vehicles and equipments.
- Time and assets utilized to examine collision and other related hazards.
- Media attention and its after effect on your business reputation.
- Probable lawsuits involved in accidents.
Generating formalized orders and plans for driver safety and reporting these expectations, aids you to strengthen and implement safe driving habits both on and off the clock. This reduces the accident rates and expenses caused due to collisions.
- Lessen Insurance Costs
If you possess a reliable fleet safety policy, your insurance premiums will be lessened considerably, since it indicates that you have an immense consideration in creating a safe environment for employees, work site, and customers. However, a fleet safety policy demonstrates the priority you provide for employee safety by specifying the ways you will:
- Oversee drivers and vehicles for obtaining data that insurance companies need, such as vehicle mileage and driving history.
- Increase driver safety by training employees to augment their abilities, and assisting them to avoid hazardous traffic situations.
- Intensify vehicle safety and security by automizing maintenance and reducing repair expenses.
Installation of a GPS vehicle tracking system is an excellent solution for reducing insurance costs.
- Enhance Fleet Operations
Candidly, a fleet safety policy not only hinders adverse effects, but also improve the operations of a fleet business. And hence, the overall business value is enhanced. Marveling how? A fleet safety policy performs the following functions:
- Lower fuel usage by preventing wasteful driving behavior such as over speeding and sudden braking.
- Increase vehicle resale value and lifespan with a fully defined maintenance plan that reduces the wear and tear of the vehicle.
- Enhance employee productivity and driver behavior by providing an awareness on safe driving habits that assists you to guide drivers.
A GPS tracker identifies the unsafe and careless driving behavior and enhance the overall fleet productivity.
As a matter of fact, designing and enforcing the fleet safety policy is an intimidating task, but it provides several benefits to your fleet business. Moreover, it reduces overall costs and enhances your fleet productivity.